All content of this blog is ©2015 by "E.B.", see here, unless otherwise noted.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Black sheep bio., part 2

...continued from the earlier post...

I never fit in with the popular people in high school and I never wanted to. I just feel like I never completely fit in in any way or anywhere. Even my geeky tendencies aren't full blown - I was never quite smart or bookish enough. I was a Star Trek and Star Wars fan, but not someone who dressed up or learned Klingon jargon, though I might have enjoyed that. I'd read some Ayn Rand, but lacked brain power to engage the super smart set. My enjoyment of all that though, kept me from being absolutely a part of the fun-loving and lighthearted party people. I did hang out our at our school's smoking area (can you believe that a high school had a smoking area for students?), because I had been smoking since age 11 or 12 (another Baaalacksheep thing -cough). The smoking area was greatly populated by the stoner clique. So, I had a reputation as a stoner, when in fact, I never smoked pot or did drugs while at that school. I did smoke clove cigarettes, and maybe that confused some people. I was variously too rich, or not rich enough, too slutty, not slutty enough, too dumb or too smart, you get the picture.

The little hardcore punk scene in our city/town, was where all the punk misfit kids from various high schools came and hung out. It was often fun - we went to concerts (shows), wild parties, and did petty crimes (think grafitti, putting soap bubbles in fountains, borrowing golf carts), all in the name of our generation's brand of fun and teen rebellion. Big Daddy recently chatted with an old friend from those days and his friend said, we were like pirates - doing what we wanted, taking what we wanted, it was crazy. No one backed down from a fight, and there was plenty of brawling. They spray-painted graffiti on police cars right under the cops' noses. We were crazy, wild kids. We really did trash houses, hotel rooms, etc., and we weren't rock stars, we were hardcore. I remember feeling a strong affinity for the 'straight edge' movement, but never fully committed myself to that. Still, I embraced vegetarianism, eschewed my former promiscuity, protested racism, joined greenpeace. I fell in love with someone, and never would have thought that lasting real love was possible for people so young, but it was. A rift began to emerge within the little hardcore scene. As I understood it, a number of the kids were leaning towards white-supremacist beliefs and becoming more involved with all of that. At the time it seemed like some of the people I knew could overlook the racism because of the other things they had in common like the love of the music, shows and hanging out. I (We) just couldn't abide that, so I excused myself. But while it lasted - before those dark things crept in, it was wonderful, and I felt some kinship. Again these are the impressions of one person, and my own experiences. High school was ending, anyway, and people were naturally growing up and moving in different directions.

I spent a couple of years at community college before I went to Art School. Art school is a haven for black sheep. Need I say more? Probably not, but I will. It was great with free-spirits of all stripes and individuals of all types in abundance. I was beyond expressing myself through my appearance and sowing bunches of drunken wild oats, as some of my peers were, because I had already done so much of that when I was very young. I was in a stable, long-term monogamous relationship at a time and place where most people were growing up, falling in and out of romances, sensing freedom, partying and dating. My class was a very unique and varied group of complete individuals, each one of them like an interesting novel. We had some older classmates and some fresh out of high school, it was an interesting mix. Imagine the entire class as a a small library of great books. To be around all the talent of my peers and our instructors was incredible. It was a great time in my life.

Then my family began going through a crisis, a legal and criminal trial, and my parents wanted everything hushed, so I couldn't even really talk about it with people who were my friends, except my boyfriend. He became my fiance, he is my constant (hehe Lost reference) and my friend, and the guy I married and now call Big Daddy. While my art school peers were concentrating on learning and education, which what we were there for, I was torn apart by a family situation. It was a tragedy and a scandal, and it really affected me during my time at college and my work output. The trouble began my first year, and seemed to be minimal, but it escalated each year and by my final year, I felt I was a wreck in many ways. I never really shared it or could tell the entire thing to any of my peers, but I know I did talk a little about it with my roommate. My work and education suffered because of it. There were good times even in the midst of the trouble though, and our marriage happened during this time.

I became disillusioned with so many things. If innocent people could go to prison, if people who I thought were my parent's family, friends and colleagues could do such evil and underhanded things over greed, what was sure in this life? Not much. My family suffered though this crisis and the fallout took years and had a myriad of results. I feel like I slogged through that last year of school and graduated with my nerves frayed just to the point of splitting. I ran from art, piling on excuses about why I keep from doing it, and am only now regaining that part of myself. Other members of my family seemed to act out in other ways. Some never fully rebounded, while still others seemed to find a granite-like strength and resolve.

Many people come to Christ and have a religious experience and awakening when they are at a low point in their life. Though I had some troubles due to my family's legal burdens, in most other ways I was quite happy when I became a Christian. Again I was different from the deathbed and jail house converts, and I don't mean to lessen those amazing transformations, but I was like, ummm my life is pretty good but still I feel like there is something missing and wrong. I just always had a sense that something was missing in my life - it dogged me, and that is why I write it in bold italics. When I started believing in Jesus and looking into all of that, it was as if I found what I was missing, just like the old song, "I once was lost but now am found." I tried to fit in as a Christian - to become very conservative and traditional - but I'm never quite as conservative as the other Christians and I'm too Christian for my un-Christian friends. I threw myself into friendships with some of my husband's family members - because they were also Christians. I had some commonality with them at the time, like being parents of young children. In retrospect I see these were people with whom I had very little in common with other than that, and I can see now the friendships were now rather unadvised, probably for both of us. I really gave 'fitting in' a good shot but it didn't exactly work out. Still, I learn from all these experiences, I try to anyway.

Now I'm a minister's wife, so I am either put on a pedestal or sized up and found lacking. Some of our dear church people even call me 'first lady' which is sweet, but very weird to me, some think I can do now wrong and must be kept at a saintly arm's length. Still other people view me under a magnifying glass looking for every flaw to prove I'm not holy enough and just another hypocrite.

So all of this biographical blather began as I thought about that blog post at Tamera Out Loud. All I can say is that I am mostly at peace with being a black sheep nowadays. This is what I wrote under a reply over there:
The only place where I have ever felt I totally fit in with anyone are a few transcendental moments where, for one reason or another, I felt a tangible presence of God and His Fatherly love. That experience messed me up in a good way and carries me through. Carries me through what, you might ask? Everything. Now, there are times when my my husband comes so close – with this wonderful simpatico kind of lovely friendship-passion soul-mate thing we have.
I suppose that coming to God, believing in Christ and all of that - Christianity, being saved, having a spiritual awakening, all those kinds of names we call it, well, that is the circumstance and encounter within my life where I have felt truly and utterly 'home' and accepted and loved and understood. Being accepted by Him, now has been enough for me, so that when I feel misunderstood or lonely as I still often do, I know there is One loves me 'just as I am.' Baaaaa!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this! I feel like we have so much in common. I also moved around a lot, began "sewing wildoats" when I was very young, met my husband when I was a teen, always felt awkwardly out-of-place even with my closest friends, and found a sort of refuge in higher education. I was also settled down (married) by the time I started college, and often struggled with how different my college experience was compared to my peers. And then, too, there was the burden of a family scandal, the details of which I have never fully disclosed to anyone. :( My happy acceptance of Christ's sacrifice, and the subsequent attempts to become the conservative, cookie-cutter Christian, is also similar to yours. And finally, oh Thank God finally, accepting who God has made me to be! :) For the past year or so, as the hubster has been teaching more and more at our house-church, I've been terrified that God would call him to be a Pastor and I would have to be a Pastor's wife! haha. How would people react to me? I'm not nearly "Christian enough" for that, but I'm trusting God that He'll take care of all that. :) So, thanks, mama, for sharing all of this. We are not so alone or un-connected in this great-big world, are we?

E.B. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
E.B. said...

Cat! Your post blessed me so, I had no idea how much in common we had. I have more to say about all of that - and will soon! :-)

E.B. said...

CatBabyDear,
Do not fear if your hubster is called to pastor, lol, God knows all about BOTH of your talents and gifts and you will be exactly the kind of p.w. the congregation you're called to serve needs. I hope that helps because it took me awhile to come to terms with that myself.

I cannot believe how much we have in common. The family scandal situation has been a long process of healing, but in Christ I am healed and unashamed. God has allowed us to go through these things for a reason, and there are many families who have been through or are going through scandals and unfortunate incarcerations. Our compassion for others in those similar situations is born within our own tragedies. Thank you for sharing here with me.

E.B. said...

I just realized when I wrote BOTH above, it sounds like I meant 'both of Cat's talents.' What I was trying to convey was that God knows the talents and gifts of both the husband and the wife when He calls one or the other or both of them into the ministry. You might not be called as your husband is, per se, but God will use you and equip you to compliment, support and help your partner. I hope I'm being clear about that now.

Faff said...

Having been an outsider oddball artist all my life. I found yours and Cat's stories very moving. I came to Christ last year and this Sunday past I gave my testimony and the word at church. My wife, 15 years a Christian, is now worried I'll be called to be a pastor. She says I'm hard enough work without taking on a church load. I've been blessed in that my church is filled with awkward outsiders and I now have an immediate family of some 50 souls.

Oh yeah, ecclesiastic bohemian sounds like a wonderful way to define yourself. I may have to appropriate it.

And Cat, not "Christian enough" we're all unworthy and God loves us anyway. When we get to Heaven it's by God's grace, no one buys their way in with good works. First person Jesus welcomed into Heaven was a thief on the next cross.

E.B. said...

Welcome Peter! Another kindred soul. Thank you for your thoughtful & encouraging comments - we are not as alone as we think we are! I took a glance at your one of your blogs and can't wait to check it out more fully.