Coconut trees are not native to the Keys, I'm told, but they do thrive here. Our neighbor's son brought me a coconut from their tree. After googling a little I found a recipe from this blog. I used fresh grated coconut and sweetened it with a pinch of sugar and a teaspoon or 2 of apple cider. I used whole wheat flour. I also had only fresh bananas, and I think if they had been very ripe it would have been better. I usually have a few ripe bananas in the freezer, but I happened to be out of them. (If I have any bananas that are getting very spotty I simply put them in the freezer. Their peel turns black, but they are good for several months or so to use in breads, muffins, shakes and smoothies.)
Banana Coconut Muffins
from Epicurious
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the banana, butter, sugar, egg, vanilla and 1/2 cup of the coconut.
3. Fold flour mixture into the wet ingredients, and mix just until combined.
4. Divide batter among 8 paper lined (or greased) muffin tins. Sprinkle tops with remaining coconut.
5. Bake at 375F for 25 minutes until golden. Cool on wire rack.
I have also been enjoying a new recipe for asparagus or broccoli I got from here. Wouldn't you just know that the Hippie Christian Family Message Board would have tasty veggie recipes?! (Check the board out, as it has just undergone a rejuvenation, and it looks so nice!) Anyway, I think I could eat broccoli every other day, it's my favorite vegetable. It was so nice to find a new recipe, with some of my favorite flavors. And it's simple! The first time I made it with asparagus, but I didn't toast the sesame seeds long enough. I toasted them for just a few minutes over medium heat in a small non-stick skillet. I also think I've been going a little overboard on the lemon, and might try going lighter the next time I prepare it.
Roasted Broccoli (or Asparagus) with Sesame Seeds and Lemon Butter
Serves 4 but is easily adaptable
1 pound broccoli florets
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
In a large bowl, toss the broccoli with the oil and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange the broccoli in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast, turning once, for approximately 12 minutes or until tender.
In a small saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and lemon zest and heat while stirring for about 1 minute. Let cool slightly and stir in the lemon juice. Place the broccoli in a serving bowl, pour the lemon butter over it and toss to coat. Scatter the toasted sesame seeds over the top.
I have a thing for Publix (a supermarket around here) brand raspberry iced tea. I wanted to see if I could come up with a home made version.
Raspberry Iced Tea
4 regular raspberry tea bags (I used Celestial Seasonings Brand)
Seedless raspberry jam or jelly
Sugar to taste, if desired
Bring tea kettle nearly to boil and remove from heat. Let the tea bags steep for about 10-15 minutes. Remove them and add about 2-3 tablespoons of the jam, stir into the hot tea until completely dissolved, you might have to warm up the tea a little to get the jam to dissolve. Add sugar to your taste. I like my sweet tea on the lightly sweetened side, so I use 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar to a gallon of tea. Remember to use a little less sugar than what you normally like because the jelly will have plenty of sugar in it. After the tea cools a little longer, at least a 1/2 hour, pour into a gallon sized jug or container with a tight fitting lid. Add enough water to top it off. Shake. Refrigerate. Serve with ice and lime wedges. Enjoy.
I am delighted and blessed by things too numerous to count. Neighbors, coconuts, fair weather and stumbling across a good recipe and a good blog about food. Yum!
Let me know if you try these recipes and like them.
No comments:
Post a Comment