I have found a new show to watch now that LOST is off the air. It's called The Walking Dead and it's disgusting and violent and about a zombie plague that has taken over the world. Uninfected people are few and far between, and always under great threat of attack. They must survive by fighting off the undead hoards by gratuitously smashing in, or chopping off the heads of the zombies. Thankfully they are the rather slow lumbering and shuffling sort of zombies, rather than the super fast zombies of more recent zombielore. Slow or not, hordes of them often overpower the living and devour and infect them. Yet, there is more humanity in this show that much of the other fare on TV these days, but you have to get through some guts and gore, to get to it. It's quite gratuitous at times, I have to close my eyes through the really gross stuff.
My favorite episode of the past season is called "Vatos." *Spoiler Alert* If you think you can tolerate this gutsy (and I mean that in the visceral sense) program, and might try watching it read this paragraph no further, just skip to the last one. In the Vatos episode the small group of humans we care about goes to the city to forage and rescue someone from their little band of survivors. They get accosted and have their weapons stolen by what seems to be some hardcore gang-bangers. They follow and confront, just when you think there is going to be a typical showdown, it becomes clear that the gang-bangers are not the hardcore nasty boys they appear to be. They are actually protecting the elderly and feeble residents of a nursing home, who were abandoned once the zombie plague took hold of their city. They are also the good guys. They use the gang-banger ploy as a ruse to protect their group from the increasingly violent surviving marauders that they have run into. The gang leader is revealed to be the former janitor of the home, who stepped up to the plate when the doctors and others abandoned the nursing home residents to protect their own skin. I didn't see that coming and I was so pleasantly surprised how the themes of survival, brotherly love, good, and evil were explored with this fresh kind of twist. The series is full of those kinds of moments and insights.
I have a love/hate relationship with horror. Sometimes it's fun to be scared. My Mom would let us watch (or read) almost anything when we were kids, and I would be afraid for weeks/months after seeing a particularly scary horror movie or reading a book sometimes. I married a dude who likes horror movies. However, after I became a Christian, I felt a great release from those types of fears, though surely some realistic horror movies (Silence of the Lambs?) or even war films can be disturbing. I felt very strong convictions about what I watched or read for many, many years after giving my life to Christ. Horror movies have so much objectionable material in them - obviously violence and gore, but also foul language and nudity most of the time. There is a good argument to be made for Christians to avoid them, particularly those who have an acute sensitivity or are prone to stumble. I believe that some horror movies can explore interesting themes, and even themes that a Christian could find relevant, just off the top of my head I'm thinking about the materialism/consumerism subject in the Dawn of the Dead movie from the late 70s, as well as the themes of motherhood and heroism from Aliens. However, you have to be sensitive to what the Holy Spirit is speaking in your life, and if those good themes are enough to redeem all the blood, guts and mayhem.
2 comments:
Interesting post, E.B.!
It's good for me to read your point of view, as I am in a different camp with regards to horror. I would never have imagined such themes would be explored in some of the stuff you mentioned. I have only seen two horror movies in my life (Amityville Horror and Poltergeist), both viewed when I was a child. Viewing those films began my interest in the paranormal and cemented my belief that I could never watch another horror movie. The nightmares continued for a long time & the images from the films as well as my own interpretation of it stayed with me for years.
My beliefs are, maybe weird or.. ..unusual... but I believe that what comes to our senses across the screen, not only may infect our mind, but disturb the atmosphere in a room.
For example, if our tv was on downstairs and no one was watching it and, say, a film such as this was playing, I believe it opens a pathway for demons.
I feel the same way about the radio or places where violence has occurred. There's a different energy with these things... I have felt it.
And, it makes me wonder about several things:
1 - the actors who work in horror films, how does it affect their spirit? short and long term?
2 - makes me think about police officers/detectives who, on a regular basis, have to work in crime and gore... how does this repetitive work with evil affect them?
Anyway, a thought-provoking post. I really enjoy reading other viewpoints about this topic.
Amy - I have run across many Christians that also believe that the TV, radio, and even objects such as pagan religious artifacts can attract or influence the spiritual realm. And I do think that there is something to be said of that! I take that seriously. However, I believe that the blood of Jesus is supreme above all supernatural powers. I believe, and I think scripture backs up, that when we belong to Jesus, there is nothing that can adversely affect us beyond a certain point. Just as we can be tempted to sin, and resist it - the enemy can try to scare us but he is limited when he goes after God’s children. I am very aware and try to be cautious and sensitive to what I allow in my home and in my life as far as entertainment. There have been times when something, be it a TV program, a musical group, or even an art object didn't sit well" in my spirit" and I decided to get rid of it, or deal with it accordingly. I believe that when we are God's child, He has given us The Holy Spirit to guide us in such matters, much in the same way He pricks our conscience over sin and even in drew us to Him in the first place. I believe many people can be more sensitive, upset and vulnerable to these types of things, and that is why I know it's not for everyone. For me, I grew tired of the cop shows that also referenced violence and death, maybe not showcasing the horror-movie kind of gore that Walking Dead has, but usually it's a woman who's been raped and/or murdered, and some story around that, which is a whole other topic. I don't have the same kind of fear and superstition that I had when I was a child or even before I became a Christian, when it comes to these make-believe stories, because I know that I serve a real and living God.
The movies you mentioned in your reply have themes of the occult and supernatural. The Walking Dead is not in that particular horror vein, it's more of a medical plague, where a virus has infected people. But what it really brings to my mind is the old Hitchcock movie "Lifeboat," in some respects. There is a group of survivors that have to rely on limited resources and on each other to survive in an increasingly hostile environment. Some of the survivors will forsake others to survive. Some give up their life to allow others to live. Some decide to take their chances on their own. One man risks his life to save a man who has a prejudice against him and has been nothing but hostile and cruel. Sometimes the bad ones end up doing something heroic. Themes of racism, euthanasia, are explored - where does humanity end and monstrosity begin? Some of the humans are worse than the monsters. Sound familiar? They are the classic themes of literature, but put into a story with zombies and with the accompanying gore. And even though it's gory - it's as unreal as fairytale to me. It's not for everyone, but I do find some redemptive themes in it. For me it was refreshing - not another cop, doctor or lawyer show and the typical plots. I really wrestled with whether or not to post this, because I know many Christians feel that Christians shouldn't watch horror at all. I certainly wouldn’t want anyone to stumble because I watch a horror show, but I do, and I hope I’m explaining why.
I think you raise interesting questions about actors in horror films - I have heard some say that it's all so unreal because they see all the tricks of the trade and the behind the scenes goings on. But I have heard at least one say they were frightened.
I feel that working in real jobs where crime and evil are dealt with must exact a terrible toll on people and I'm sure that many suffer from PTSD just as soldiers and crime survivors do.
I am always interested in your thoughts and input.
Post a Comment